Something about the great Gem state gets under people's skin. Those who are born here want to stay, and those who visit want to come back. I've compiled top ten reasons to explain this phenomenon.
1. It feels incredibly safe. Crime rates are low. I have never experienced an earthquake, tornado, or hurricane (being land-locked helps the last one). The worst thing we have going for us is the fact that Yellowstone has a super volcano that could erupt at any time. That, and the incessant wind.
2. Variety in living. You can live in an urban area or live in solitude. You've got desert or mountains. Take your pick.
4. Idaho encourages bravery in even the youngest of residents. We go on a tour of our (probably haunted) state penitentiary as 4th graders.
5. You will find that on average, OUR "heavy traffic" is YOUR "light traffic." You will also find that you can park your car within walking distance of your desired destination.
6. Idaho is an excellent place to be if you like outdoor recreation. We're known for our fishing, hunting, skiing, camping, rafting etc. Or you can hop on a bike, like me. There is some excellent scenery here.
7. The cost of living is incredibly reasonable.
8. According to State of the Air 2012, Idaho's Capitol, Boise, is ranked #9 for cleanest metropolitan area in the country for annual particle pollution. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is ranked the #1 city in the country for cleanest metropolitan areas in the country for Ozone air pollution. As I write all this, I can't help but think of the poor air quality Idahoans have been experiencing lately from all the fires. Don't despair Idahoans! In the long run, we're doing something right!
9. People are friendly! They WILL smile/nod/wave when you walk down the street and they WILL yield to other cars on the road. I don't fear for my life when I drive here.
10. Talk to ANY native Idahoan and you will hear the PRIDE in their voice when they talk about their home state. Then ask them to sing you the Idaho State Song. Chances are they will know it. Well, the chorus at least.